Tuesday, August 2, 2011

The EarthRoamer (and they seem to mean it)

This blog is about cool and interesting things I've seen while on my travels.  I don't tend to do a lot of research on the items I blog about because I think they speak for themselves, for the most part.  However, I occasionally run across something that requires me to take a deeper look - usually because it piques my interest.


The "Earth Roamer" is one of those "Piquey" things.  I found this on a drive through Saratoga, California - we'd just decided to go for a typical 'Sunday Drive' and when I passed the street this was parked on, I had to quickly whip around and take a closer look, and some pictures. 

This Rig is amazing from the outside, and after reading more about it I want to pack everything into it and run away to WHEREVER I want to go.  There has only been one more-rugged vehicle I've read about being produced (though I am sure there are many other custom Rigs that are amazing in their own right), and while I'll never see one (my understanding is that only two were produced for some very wealthy Mongolian hunters) this Roamer would do just about everything I'd ever need it to do.  There is something to be said for: "Go there...?  Not only can I get there, I can stay three-weeks, stay warm, fed, and sleep in my king bed while I do it..."

Promo shot (c) EarthRoamer
(XV-JP, Jeep frame)
The company seems to produce a couple of lines of Rigs.  One based on an F550, and the other on a Jeep Wrangler/Rubicon frame.  Either way, reading the way the company speaks, they certainly know how to give you bang for your 6-figure buck.

EarthRoamer Xpedition Vehicles are designed to travel to four-wheel drive accessible, remote locations and provide a comfortable year-round camping experience without dependence on external power or utility hook ups.

The best one-word description of an EarthRoamer Xpedition Vehicle is freedom. EarthRoamer XVs give you the freedom to travel confidently and comfortably anywhere you want, whenever you want, without concern for the weather or season. It's the freedom to head out on a trail in the middle of Baja to a pristine secluded beach. It's the freedom to camp safely with all the comforts of home high in the mountains - in the middle of winter!

You can see a lot more about the setup here.  Overall, it seems like an incredibly well thought-out, awesome Rig.  Maybe someday, when I don't need space for 5 and can roam the back-country, this will be the Rig I look to.  Here is a link to all the specs for the 550 model (XV-LT)

Promo shot (c) EarthRoamer (Interior, 550 XV-LT)
BTW - I found a link to a story someone wrote on Amazon - take a look: Broomfield's EarthRoamer goes where RVs can't.(Attitude at Altitude)(xpedition vehicles): An article from: ColoradoBiz

Promo shot (c) EarthRoamer (Yahoo...!)
The Cool: Seriously, have you read this post?  The entire thing is cool.

The Interesting:  Having seen this one on an off-chance drive-by, I thought it was interesting to find out that there are so many specialty manufacturers out there.  Besides - it was parked out on the street - would you park your Lamborghini out on the street (which likely costs less, by the way)? By the way - anyone notice the F550 with a single rear wheel?

1 comment:

Jill said...

Okay, that looks really awesome inside...maybe that should be our "empty nest" home someday. :)