Wednesday, June 29, 2011

A deck on an RV?

Here in the park (Portland, OR) this week I ran into something that isn't usually seen, except on a sticks and bricks house. Open Range RV has created a fiver with a patio/deck (patent pending) and it's really a pretty amazing idea.  The Rig we saw was in their 'Rolling Thunder' line, which is a Toy Hauler, but from their promotional photos it looks to me like they are offering the deck kit on their smaller trailers as well.

From what I can tell in a quick glance, the patio is a kit that breaks down into smaller pieces, and is stored in the belly of the trailer.  When attached to the sides of the trailer so there is a sturdy railing all the way around.  It also looks like they have some adjustability under the decking for an uneven site.  And, from the promo photo (below), it looks like the (electric?) awning will cover the entire patio.

I think that to use the deck, they would want to be somewhere for awhile as I can't see taking that down and putting it up four-times-a-week being any fun.  Also, when the deck isn't attached I'd think there would be a little bit of a danger since someone could forget it wasn't attached and in the dark attempt to walk out the sliding door.

Promotional Photo (c) OpenRangeRV.com
Some people, I'm sure, won't understand the need for something like a deck since you could just walk out your RV, but for travelers with small children it would be great because you could let the kids out on the deck and not have to worry about them wandering, or traffic.  I also think that it would have great use for hadicapped RVers, and would allow them to get outside more easily and help those with mobility problems not have to go down and up steps to be outside.  I'd think this setup to be used by more of a 'seasonal' type camper, or maybe a sand rail/dirt bike hauler where campsites aren't traditional in setup.  There are some parks we've been in where there is no way this would fit, but I suppose if you had this type of Rig, you just wouldn't stay in those parks.

The Cool: A patio/deck on your RV?  How cool would that be?  The only one cooler that I've seen was the Veranda Motorhome in which you pushed a button and the entire slide out of the RV drops down into a deck.  If I find pictures of that, then I'll post it here in the future.

The Interesting: I like that someone is doing this, but if they patent it will it make them the only company that can offer it?  If their trailer designs don't fit your needs, then it is an option that is off the table, unless they license it (which I hope they will).  It could be a huge selling point for them, or just a really great idea that becomes a novelty for the RVing community because they sit on it.  I'm interested to see where it goes from here.

You can see the one of the doors for the toy hauler section to the left of the patio.

No comments: